Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

I thought I would pass along a great lesson that my dad passed along to me today. As most of you who know me well, know that I am constantly buying and selling something or looking into new business ideas regardless of industry. I have to be doing something constantly! So I was looking into getting involved in real-estate right now and buying some rental properties to take advantage of a soft market and for now, lower interest rates.

My father outlined a plan of the pros and cons of actually having a real estate license (taxes, fees, etc.) vs. selling by owner and how to be successful. And he made a very profound statement, "I give great advice, it is just too bad I never follow it!" Meaning, he knew what to do, he just didnt do it.

Another great story along the same lines, I recently got an email and it went like so;

A women took her son to the doctor's office because of his sugar craving issues. She said, "doctor, my son wont stop eating sugar, please tell him to stop." The doctor nodded his head and said "come back in two weeks." The mother looked at him strangely and agreed. She then returned as directed two weeks later with her son, presented him to the doctor and the doctor said to the boy "stop eating sugar." The women was shocked, "why did I wait two weeks for you to say that?" The doctor replied, "because before I could tell the boy to stop eating sugar, I had to stop eating sugar myself."

The moral of this story, when following dieting and training advice, follow someone like the doctor not someone who has no idea of the trials and pains associated with weightloss. Because remember we all "know" what to do, but how many of us actually do it?

No comments: